Thursday, December 27, 2012

Great Lakes Brewing Company: Edmund Fitzgerald Porter


Great Lakes, Great Beer

This beer is exactly what I'd want to be drinking as I sit by a wood-burning fireplace and stare outside at the snow drifting down past the street lamps outside. Lucky enough for me, that's precisely what I'm doing, and the Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald is what I'm drinking. 

The smell is roasty warm and tinged with sweetness, like a mug of hot chocolate with a couple shots of espresso sloshed in. It yields a light tan head and pours as dark as any good stout should. It's more carbonated then I was expecting, but that happens to work to this beer's benefit, giving it a clean start and cleaner finish, letting just enough of the chocolate-roasted notes play on the tongue before they slip down your throat. 

The hop profile (a mix of Northern Brewer, Fuggle, and Cascade) balance this porter out nicely, leading on to an ambiguity between the sweetness and crisp hoppyness in its taste. Considering I'm already on my second bottle, I'd say this beer is well-rounded and delicious enough to swig down without savoring too much. The Edmund Fitzgerald is an all-too-drinkable beer and, like the ship it was named after, will easily take many an Ohioan down with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment